stop.wait.watch

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I read the papers today and I'm amazed at how some parents think.
The issue about whether you choose to study in a recognised local university or overseas.
Parents have replied that it's actually the universities that choose their students and not the students choosing the school.
Well, I have to say it's the survival of the fittest.
Harsh truth but it's true.
If NUS , SMU or NTU for that matter, takes in any Tom, Dick or Harry, then where's that sense of survival of the fittest in today's ever competitive lifestyle?
If you've not been accepted into any of the listed schools above, then you're simply not good enough. I'm sorry but that's the plain truth.
If everyone is accepted, then studying in these 3 universities in Singapore is just a big joke.

Has anyone ever thought why most organisations save for private firms or creative industries, are more critical of applicants who have gotten their degrees from less recognised or even unrecognised institutions?
Simply because the organisations are not able to trust the kind of education that one has received from those institutions. This is what I feel.

I was slightly riled when I read the comments posted by those parents.
Can't they think? Where have all their years of education gone to?
I'm sure this issue is not simply reserved for Singaporeans. Other countries are facing it too.

Talking about tertiary education, people around me already have plans to upgrade themselves with next year. I wish you all the best.
A friend is going to pursue her Masters degree. All the best dear!
Others are also moving towards similar paths.
Isn't that so envious?
I feel so stagnant to be surrounded by these people.
After 2 years of obtaining my degree, I have yet to obtain my Masters!
It's so sad when I think of it. It makes me feel like an idler.

I wanted to pursue my Masters after graduation but Mum advises me to get working experience. Then marriage came up because I can't just have a stagnant relationship after completing my studies, can I?
It's not that I don't want to get married, I do, but all plans to continue studying have to be put on hold.
Well, people say patience is a virtue. I'll wait for that day to come when I can pursue my dreams. One of my favourite profs once said this: If you have the opportunity, never get out of university. It's the best place to be in.
Well prof, I totally agree. I can't wait to be back in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home